Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 01/12/06 4:18pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Competition!

I'm in talks about getting a new (very big) website job soon, and my client is interested in having a flash game. I don't really have time to write one myself, so I was thinking I might run a small competition here...

The prize wouldn't be huge as i'll be sorting it out myself from my personal funds and it will have to adhere to some fairly strict guidelines. I'll also have to have the source once you've finished it, and be able to modify it myself to interact with the main site (eg to run highscores). I'm also not certain if i'll be able to credit you on that site, but i'll try. You can do a second version of it to run on a PSP and we can put it on this site too if you want (which you will be credited for).

I'm not sure about any details yet (or even if i'm definitely going to run this comp) but it will probably be a platform type game, maybe tile-based. This is because the aim of the game is to inform the user whilst being fun, and i think it's probably the best format for that. I am open to suggestions though.

Anyone interested?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#2 11/12/06 11:04am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Re: Competition!

OK, apparently not. Should be getting more details about this after christmas so i'll keep you posted...

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#3 11/12/06 5:07pm

wild8900

Im interested.

#4 21/03/07 5:07pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Right, website is well underway and now ready for a game - holding page is www.nano2hybrids.net so you can see the background. The science is about using carbon nanotubes as gas detectors. Gas molecules will adsorb onto the nanotube and change its electrical resistance.

The game will serve a function to inform and help visualise what's going on in the experiments at the nano scale. Its first priority, however, is to be fun.

This game does not need to be playable on the PSP, so as such has no restrictions on dimensions, key inputs or flash version. The target user is PC users aged from around 14 and above. To fit in with the site theme, try to use the colours #912715 and other whites and greys. We will probably edit the game after completion to include our own text and extra information. We will also probably make translations. By submitting a game to us, you are agreeing to let us modify it to what we need.

There will be no monetary prize for this game, but it will be made public on the nano2hybrids page will full credits (and any link you might want) - it should get a lot of hits, so great publicity.

I'll welcome any suggestions for games, but one to get you started is below:

Got a nanotube at the bottom of the screen, running along the bottom from left to right. There are a number of small metal blobs along the tube length - these are the metal nanoparticles. There is a resistance being measured along the nanotube (maybe this could be a graphic at the side, like a small line)

Gas molecules come flying down from the top and sides at different angles - if they hit the nanotube they don't really stick and come off again - if they hit the metal particles they stick, and the resistance changes a little bit.

You could fly a little spaceship around and shunt the gas molecules in the right direction by crashing into them and transfering momentum!

The nanotube could be set up as a gas detector and it's got to detect enough gas molecules to set off a warning that there is a toxic gas in the room - if you don't get enough molecules to stick in time then everyone has died, if you do then the alarm goes off, the sensor has worked, and the workers are saved!

This is only a suggestion - feel free to elabourate on this theme, or come up with your own!

I'd be really keen to see loads of submissions for this - we're not restricted to just one game! This is a really good opportunity to get your work played by a very large amount of people in the context of a serious and large scale website. It'd look great on a CV or job application too!

Games ideally need to be completed by the end of April.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#5 24/03/07 2:42am

realism22

i have no clue how to write games.......

#6 26/03/07 8:30pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

ok, well thanks for telling us smile Anyone out there who can?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#7 26/03/07 8:56pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

I would try but i'm not entirely sure what it's meant to be about. I'm an english 14 year old so i become easily distracted when reading about nanotubes etc, especially when reading from a screen. Can someone please simplify the whole nanotubes thing for me so then i can actually know what the game content should be?

The shadow of the wicker man is rising up again...

#8 26/03/07 10:24pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Sorry, on re-reading my post, it was fairly confusing...

Here's a picture of the sort of thing i had in mind:
http://www.pspflashgaming.com/user_uploads/files/tallphil/game_idea.jpg

Where the nanotube goes along the bottom (we can get a better image than that one), the gold pentagons are the metal particles adsorbed to the nanotube. The brown circles are the nasty gas particles and the blue circles are neutral gas particles.

Anyway, the aim of the game would be to 'knock' the brown circles onto the gold pentagons. Each time this happens, the 'resistance' bar at the bottom goes up, and when it hits the star you complete the level.

Harder levels could have less gold pentagons and more blue circles to make it harder, or maybe they could move faster etc...

We can supply text and descriptions etc when you start your game, just mail it to me before you do too much to check through it too (can't have any inconsistencies with the science)

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#9 31/03/07 1:38am

dom04418
Website

oh cool i dont have time for anything but i wish i did id try but i dont have time sry no use to u

duelelites yikes duel

#10 03/04/07 6:42pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

I'll give it a shot. It wont be pretty and i doubt it'll be finished by the deadline (as i have said, i'm easily distracted:))

#11 05/04/07 12:29pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

go for it - i was thinking that i'd probably eventually make it myself anyway, after i've finished everything else on the project (but that'll be quite a long way off yet)

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#12 09/04/07 8:57pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

Right, i e-mailed it to you. For everyone else here's the .swf version. The physics are bad, the graphics are scruffy and there's no object to it AT THE MOMENT but i am however working on it.

Nano

#13 10/04/07 9:00pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

ok, I now have made some improvements but it's not anything too dramatic.

Nano demo

#14 10/04/07 9:36pm

kluttykid
Hardcore Member
Website

Wow... better than than the first one.. now I dont have to worry about pushing stuff off of the screen.big_smile

Last edited by kluttykid (10/04/07 11:27pm)

I got a NEW PC !!!!!!
( cause my other one broke) Now back to the comics.. I have to make everything all over again sad )

#15 10/04/07 11:58pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

hey i just found out that it runs ok on psp so a psp version might be on the way

#16 14/04/07 2:55pm

duelord
Discussion Mød
Website

hey dude could you post the script here? that would be cool  then i can see the structure.  im still a noob at flash programming so im not doing the  competition.

Last edited by duelord (15/04/07 11:09am)

[img]http://data23.sevenload.com/slcom/yz/jb/llrqlfd/wkkrihhojdge.jpg~/Duelord4.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9534#p9534]Flash games/applications for the psp!!+tutorial[/url]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=10247#p10247]Download Emulators for psp+tutorial[/url]

#17 15/04/07 9:20am

tallphil
Banned
Website

duelord wrote:

im not still a noob at flash programming so im not doing the  competition.

The competition isn't just for people who haven't got experience in coding games - anyone is welcome to put in a game. If you're not a noob, then you're more likely to win because you'll be able to make a good game...?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#18 15/04/07 11:07am

duelord
Discussion Mød
Website

sorry for the mistake. i meant i am a noob at flash game programming.  stupid me. sry

[img]http://data23.sevenload.com/slcom/yz/jb/llrqlfd/wkkrihhojdge.jpg~/Duelord4.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9534#p9534]Flash games/applications for the psp!!+tutorial[/url]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=10247#p10247]Download Emulators for psp+tutorial[/url]

#19 16/04/07 6:32pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

sure! sorry, my t'internet's been dodgy recently. here's the .fla!

nano.fla

#20 17/04/07 6:39pm

duelord
Discussion Mød
Website

thanks i will  have a look at it. l

#21 17/04/07 10:35pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

i'm basically not going to sign into PSP Flash gaming for a couple of weeks so I can really get my head down on this other website project - i will have a proper look when i'm around again! smile

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#22 18/04/07 8:54pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

k, by the way i really can't get this easing motion sorted out, and i'm not entirely sure i can be bothered. How many levels does this thing need?

#23 19/04/07 8:41am

tallphil
Banned
Website

it's your game - up to you! smile
As for the easing - have you looked around for a tutorial? There's plenty on making games that cover easing as it's a fairly common problem.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#24 19/04/07 3:31pm

der-zef-meister
Addict

yeah but they all tell me to halve the distance between a fixed point and i don't want a fixed point. I think i'll just try and make something with what i've already got.

#25 20/04/07 9:02pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

can't you just assign the object with a velocity (as in speed and direction), then each frame calculate how far in which direction it should move, and reduce the velocity? A recursive function that moves the object relative only to itself... eg:

Code:

velocity_angle = 30;
velocity_speed = 10;
function move_object{
    /* code to move object 10pixels in correct angle */
    velocity_speed = velocity_speed - 1;
}

Obviously horrible code that wouldn't work, but you get the idea?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

Board footer