Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#26 22/10/06 1:04pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Re: Heli

Jake wrote:

If you mean that there is mostly yellow above.

Yap, that's what I meant

#27 22/10/06 1:31pm

Jake
Administrator

I am not sure what I will do about that. It is because of the level generation. If you play it a little you will see some maps go close to the bottom of the screen and some nearer the top and others both. I have added a little thing on the menu for beta 2.10 that lets you change the maximum tile height. The higher this value the "lumpier" the map will be. If the tile height is to large though the map will be impossible but it will let you have a play.

Note: Beta 2.10 is not released yet I am still working on it.

Also I need help on the colours I am not sure I am happy with them at the moment so any suggestions are welcome.

moose

#28 22/10/06 5:36pm

soulofdarkness

yeah. yellow is not the best colour for a cave wink
I liked the way you've edited the logo, look's more 3d. there's one thing that would make it even better, i will post the picture of whet i mean pretty soon.

I'm not very happy with the mix of styles: highscore and gameover screens have a dark, maybe even neon-effect if u'll work a little on it, but the menu screen and the game itself are bright and colourfull. choose one style!

Black clock look strange on a yellow background, and in-game signs should be lighter - lightblue and yellow combintion looks pretty good.

Good luck!

I bite!
surprise

#29 22/10/06 5:44pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

I agree with soulofdarkness, you should have one colour scheme for the menus. Maybe the cave's color could be randomly chosen for each level.
Also, there's a tiny bug or something. Normally pressing the 'home' or 'select' button brings up the PSP main menu and it pauses the flash game you're playing. If you do that with Heli, you're immediately game over once you get back to the game, even if you didn't hit any obstacles.

#30 22/10/06 5:47pm

soulofdarkness

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/Soul_Of_Darkness/helicolor.jpg
Choose where from is your text lighted from: If form south-east, them tiles 1 and 2 shouldm't be same: 1 sould be even ligher that 3. It form north-east, then do the same thing, only with 2.

I bite!
surprise

#31 22/10/06 7:16pm

Jake
Administrator

I have been playing with the styles a bit that is why there is a mix in the betas. 2.10 is going to have all menus in the same style once I am happy with one idea.

The clock is an issue and hopefully it will be gone and replaced by something better in beta 2.10 It was a quick fix to the problem of knowing exactly when to start.

moose

#32 22/10/06 7:38pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

This game doesn't use the D-pad. Maybe you could use these keys to pause the game, change detail, go to main menu, maybe even turn sound on and off if you decide to add sound... Just some ideas... all games should have a pause button, right ?roll

#33 22/10/06 8:14pm

Jake
Administrator

I will put pause in later But as a tip for now if you press the home button once on any flash game it acts as a sort of pause but don't turn off the PSP. When you want to play again just press home again. I will add a pause button though in the future maybe in the next beta.

moose

#34 22/10/06 8:24pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Jake wrote:

When you want to play again just press home again.

Well, that's the problem. when you 'unpause' the game like you just said, it just says game over before the heli crashes. Pausing the game with the 'home' button always results into being game over the instant you unpause

#35 25/10/06 10:23pm

Jake
Administrator

I have been very busy recently so work on Heli has almost come to a stand still. However I have added a pause button and changed the colours. I have nearly settled on a theme and just need a few more modifications so all the buttons fit in etc. The bug involving the home button is because the flash script is still running but the display is not updating so the code is telling the game that the helicopter is moving. As there is no key code for the home button there is nothing I can do about this but the pause button should be helpful.

The increase in speed each level is the same however I am thinking of halving the increment as it would provide a longer game play. I am also thinking of increasing the initial speed a little bit.

The update can be found here. There is still a lot of work to do on the graphics but the game is there. The pause button is right on the D pad and will pop up on menus as I have not coded to stop this yet.

Please note I have added the protection to this game so it wont work on the PC if downloaded but will work on PSP this is just to stop people stealing it.

moose

#36 26/10/06 11:06am

soulofdarkness

Great style!
Is it just me or the pause button doesn't work when flying?

I bite!
surprise

#37 26/10/06 3:13pm

Jake
Administrator

The pause button is a little funny it seems to work on the first go then if you crash it wont work on the second go but if you crash again it works. I am not sure why this is but I am trying to fix it.

moose

#38 26/10/06 11:55pm

Jake
Administrator

Its coming close to a full release now I am expecting it to be on the site this weekend with leader boards running (they only don't work at the moment because its a beta). The issues with the pause button have been solved. Now to start the game running again you have to press left on the D pad (arrow keys on PC). I did add sound but this lost approximately 2fps so I took that away as it was just the sound of the helicopter and did not add to the gaming experience in any way.

The graphics are probably as they will be in the final release. As the helicopter is so small I am not going to make extra helicopters at the moment. I have made the progress bar smoother and removed the fps display.

You can no longer adjust the tile height it is fixed at 8.

Now I need to know the following:

Is the initial speed OK (does it need increasing / decreasing)
Is the change in speed each level OK (does it need increasing / decreasing)
Is the change in the helicopters response OK
What is the maximum level People have managed to get to
Are there any bugs I have not found (I think its OK)
On the PSP have you had the "Out of Memory" error (you should not)

As I want to get another game that can be played on the site the level builder will come later but there will be one and it will be easy to use essentially a drag and drop style thing.

Beta 2.13 can be found here

moose

#39 27/10/06 7:26am

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

Level 12 then i made a stupid mistake but could have gone further.
The response of the helicopter seems abit different to previous releases but is ok when you get used to it.

Seems all fine to me but as i don't have a psp its not really for me to test

#40 27/10/06 1:30pm

soulofdarkness

emm. how could you launch in without a PSP?

I bite!
surprise

#41 27/10/06 1:40pm

Jake
Administrator

click the link and it should play in the browser. I have added security just like jelly has. It stops people stealing my work.

moose

#42 27/10/06 2:15pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Hmm, i think i preferred the helicopter handling as it was before... More instant response, less obvious acceleration. And i think maybe it should increase in speed faster - it takes ages to get as far as level 12. That's only my personal view though. Otherwise good though, perhaps graphics could do with a polish?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#43 27/10/06 2:44pm

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

I think i have to agree with phil on the handling and speed but otherwise is all good in my opinion big_smile

#44 29/10/06 10:38pm

Jake
Administrator

Honestly I have not changed the code and I cant see a difference. You need to post any bugs before wed 1st November as I am setting this as the release date for the game. Graphics and things like that are not so important as there is going to be a second release probably after Christmas with updated graphics and a level designer but I am far to busy at the moment to do any of this now.

If I do not gt any response I will put it up as it is with maybe a few tweaks I think it needs.

moose

#45 30/10/06 8:21am

soulofdarkness

Cool, a release date. big_smile
I'm didn't see any difference in controlls either/
I like it, style is awesome. Like in "The world that never was" smile

I bite!
surprise

#46 01/11/06 8:21pm

Jake
Administrator

Sorry all betas are gone now as the release is about to come out

moose

#47 02/11/06 12:56pm

soulofdarkness

Cool, release!
I like it, I'll try it on my PSP soon smile
Everything's great, but why green???
And don't forget to make different copters in the update -
I know, the copters are small, but different colors will be seen!

I bite!
surprise

#48 02/11/06 1:41pm

Jake
Administrator

Green because black and gray looked dull. The green makes it easier to see and there is the possibility to use different colors in further updates. I just wanted to release the game so work on Pong X can carry on.

moose

Board footer