Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 14/10/06 6:51pm

Jake
Administrator

Heli

I have been working on a new game and it is now in the alpha stage. The engine is there and it is essentially a working game however it needs a lot of work. You can find the alpha version here. It can be downloaded by right clicking and saving the target. At the moment the only control is the left mouse click to go up (X button on the PSP). When making comments please remember this is an alpha release and still in the developmental stages.

moose

#2 14/10/06 7:03pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Re: Heli

Awesome big_smile
Fairplay Jake, good work applause

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#3 14/10/06 8:38pm

soulofdarkness

Cool, knew you'd figure the problem somehow!

Now to scoring system, maybe different helis (like it was in jelly). Something in the end of the stage would be nice

I bite!
surprise

#4 14/10/06 11:53pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Awesome! Nicely done smile

#5 14/10/06 11:56pm

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

I like that game:D

#6 15/10/06 12:20am

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

Btw you have spelt preparation wrong scratchchin

#7 16/10/06 10:57pm

Jake
Administrator

I have just improved the level builder and this gives a slight performance on PSP but it also means that the difference in tile height can be as little or as much as you want which is a vast improvement.

moose

#8 17/10/06 7:00am

tallphil
Banned
Website

I think you need to write in a warning about when each level is about to start, eg after the level has finished building, a countdown from 3, 2, 1, Start! Type thing.

I keep losing right at the start of levels because i don't expect it to go yet sad

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#9 17/10/06 11:11am

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

That happens to me aswell

#10 17/10/06 5:09pm

Jake
Administrator

Alpha 1.11 is available here not out of alpha stage yet but I have taken in to account a few things said. Also I know it says alpha version 1.10 in the menu i forgot to change this.

moose

#11 17/10/06 5:16pm

soulofdarkness

Thanks, makes it a lot easier to play. Keep up the good work!

I bite!
surprise

#12 17/10/06 10:32pm

Jake
Administrator

I have just improved the code for heli and want to hopefully post a beta tomorow. However i am not happy with the name so I am open to suggestions.

moose

#13 18/10/06 12:57pm

soulofdarkness

No, Heli is great, like Jelly.

I bite!
surprise

#14 19/10/06 8:03pm

Jake
Administrator

I am now happy with the game code for heli needs some improvement on the menu but the game screen is probably as it is going to be. Click here to see the first beta. It will probably play like this unless people have any suggestions. The high score will not work but this is deliberate I know the code works so it will only function in the final release. I have redone the helicopter as well so it looks better and the collision code is now more accurate. I am very busy at the moment and it takes a long time to make a game and I want to be sure that i have the code running as efficiently as possible on the PSP. It should however be ready by the weekend so if you don't mind could you post as many suggestions as you can think of so I can limit the amount of betas.

moose

#15 19/10/06 9:30pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

It sure has become a lot harder.
One small thing though... The font size for the 'play again' and the other buttons is too big for the text to fit inside the button

#16 19/10/06 9:33pm

soulofdarkness

cool, finaly something looking like a helicopter wink Now make selecatble ones big_smile
the thing that appears on the top before every level supposed to be a map?
As much as i understand the code, the level hat tree objects - horisontal and vertical lines, and the heli itself, so i would be impossible to make different color inside and outside the cave, and i'm "not very happy with that" smile. try making 2 objects for horisontal objects - one with a dr facing down fading colour, and second with darkn fading color too, but facing up:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/Soul_Of_Darkness/walls.jpg

It's just a suggestion, i don't order you to doo that.

Nice of you to add blocks, making the game more interesting to play.

The thing that i didn't like is that when you die, you're immedietly sent to submit score screen. That's bad - it's pretty annoying to click all your way back if you die in the very beggining sad

Hope u'll finish it soon!

Last edited by soulofdarkness (19/10/06 9:50pm)

I bite!
surprise

#17 19/10/06 10:27pm

Jake
Administrator

Just realized I probably can make the land a solid color as one modification I made was the level builder which now draws the lines rather than using a movie clip. I will mess around with it tomorrow as I have loads of uni work to do at the moment.

moose

#18 20/10/06 12:14pm

Jake
Administrator

I did make the land solid and it works fine on pc but PSP does something strange i cant understand so I am going to tinker with the code till it works.

moose

#19 20/10/06 4:28pm

soulofdarkness

Show us!

I bite!
surprise

#20 21/10/06 7:55pm

Jake
Administrator

I am sorry for this late post but I have had lots on and there are quite a lot of changes in this new update most in the code and the way it works. Get beta 2.00 here. Sorry but there is still only one helicopter and there is no nice big explosion when you crash but I am working on it. The game is starting to look more like the version that will be released.

In the next update you can expect lives and a few other things. You will also be pleased to know I have been thinking of ways to do the custom maps and I have definitely got a way to do it however it will be in a newer version once the game has been released.

moose

#21 21/10/06 9:01pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Jeffy wrote:

Anyone who could pull this off will become famous and I will love you =]

Ye wink

It's awesome... no more loading times! This doesn't even need different helicopters or explosions. I love it! I love youuuuuuuuu! hehe

#22 21/10/06 9:08pm

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

Its running very smooth on the pc now. Is it just me or do the levels seem very flat now? As in not any steep slopes, they are only slow gradients, what does everyone else think?

What do you think about adding some extra items you can collect to gain extra points? It would make it abit more difficult because you would be tempted to go for the extra points then crash

#23 21/10/06 9:39pm

Jake
Administrator

Yes the game used to use 16*16 pixel tiles but I edited the code and it now runs differently. I did not like the game when it used the tiles as when the speed increased it started getting impossible. Also it made it very difficult to add obstacles when the jump in height was 16 pixels. Now the maximum height difference is 8 pixels.

moose

#24 22/10/06 9:08am

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Ye I was wondering why you only use the bottom half of the PSP screen for the level... Oh well, that doesn't matter.
Is there any way you can detect whether someone's playing from PSP or PC? So it automatically plays on low detail on PSP and high detail on PC. Low or high detail makes a difference of a few fps on PSP so...

#25 22/10/06 9:53am

Jake
Administrator

I am not sure what you mean only use the bottom half of the screen. If you mean that there is mostly yellow above and below then that is due to the level. The levels are generated randomly each time.

And yes I can auto detect the psp and set the quality to low I will do it for the next release but i will make it so the user can override this if they want.

moose

Board footer