Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 22/06/07 4:13am

Uruz2012

is there a free program to write flash games?

i want to create an rpg flash game for psp but i don't know where to start i don't even have the software needed. can anyone help me find a good beginers software free or cheap?

noob pcpunch

#2 22/06/07 12:50pm

master498
Mod.

Re: is there a free program to write flash games?

i dont make games so i dont really know but rember it cant take up much space for it to work on psp

#3 22/06/07 4:01pm

Uruz2012

I don't know if this would work but the way I'm thinking of doing it would be kind of like making a portal where each area would be its own flash game and they would all be linked together so it would have to be downloaded completely to be played. If I could get it to work the world map would be one file and each town/dungeon would be another file battles would be non-random and turn based on their own engine. The only problem for me is money i don't have money to pay hundreds of USD for a flash program. I could even make it like lunar or saga frontier where when you run into an enemy you are taken to a battle screen.

noob pcpunch

#4 22/06/07 4:37pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

There is a programme called Macromedia Flash you could use to make flash. It isn't free though but if you want to get it for free, use your imagination smile I'm a mod so I guess I can't say where wink

There's also something called flashkit I believe. I'm not sure if that's free or not or if it works well...

And your idea of linking flash isn't new. I guess we're still waiting for someone to try...

#5 22/06/07 6:42pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

flashkit is a website for help with creating flash content, not a program - http://www.flashkit.com/

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#6 22/06/07 6:42pm

Uruz2012

I know the linking idea isn't new but I've never seen it done before. If I could get it to work that would be great. Old school turn based rpgs would run great on psp flash b/c of the simpler code (no shooting or jumping physics to worry about) and if the battles could be run on their own separate engine and be turn based the frame rate should be pretty good. I could even add fmvs using the linking.
        I'll try and find a software i can afford b/c I've always wanted to make my own rpg. Ieven tried that crappy RPG Maker for PS2. For anyone who hasn't tried it the interface doesn't work very well without a mouse the choices for characters are very limited and I don't know who decided it would be fun to type a text based rpg with a ps2 controler and if that wasn't enough there's no internet support so unless you know someone who has a copy of the game and want to lend them a memory card you can't give your game to anyone sadshakehead

noob pcpunch

#7 22/06/07 10:07pm

Jake
Administrator

Why not try adobe flash on a trial basis you would at least be able to see if the idea is possible and I believe the trial lasts for 30 days which is enough time to test out if the idea will work.

I have never come accross a free program to create flash files but there are alternatives out there but They are usually not that good.

As another alternative you could use the trial to sort out all of the graphics and movie clips and sounds etc in a swf file which imports the code from an external file. Flash can import actionscript which is basically the actionscript as you would see in flash but can be created in a text editor such as notepad where you just save with the extension ".as".

moose

#8 22/06/07 11:04pm

Uruz2012

Thanks Jake, that's a good idea. I'm thinking of trying Adobe Flash CS3 Profesional but my internet is very slow (dial-up) pullhair so it takes forever to download anything would this be a good program to start with?

noob pcpunch

#9 23/06/07 8:15am

Jake
Administrator

I have not tried flash cs3 but I think it came from the flash 9 beta so should be fine. If you do get that make sure you use either actionscript 1 or 2 and set the flash player to 6 for the file you create,this should be in publish settings.

moose

#10 23/06/07 7:01pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

In my opinion, you really need the official flash to create anything good... As Flash CS3 is the latest, it's also the best and I can't see a reason why not to go for it.

Maybe leave your computer online overnight downloading it? Or maybe get it from a school network or friend who has broadband? wink

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#11 23/06/07 10:02pm

Uruz2012

Yeah, I'm downloading it at home now. It's been 3 hours and i have about 50MB of 401MB downloaded. At this rate i should be up and running by sometime next year. hmm I tried to download it at work but they have the adobe website blocked. PSPflashgaming works though and so do a few movie streaming sites including youtube, doesn't make much sense does it? And thanks for the help tallphil. wink

noob pcpunch

#12 24/06/07 11:10am

JaXeRiR
Elite Moderator
Website

You might wanna download Macromedia Flash trial and to get the reg code go to serials(dot)ws...

Remember, I didn't tell you this.

Last edited by JaXeRiR (24/06/07 11:11am)

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/JaX3RiR][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/JaX3RiR.png[/img][/url]

#13 24/06/07 7:23pm

Uruz2012

Ialready did that now I'm learning actionscript so if anyone has any tips thay would be greatly appreciated as I've never coded anything in my life.

I'm even having a problem with this code.

Code:

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
    if(Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT))
    ( this._x += 6;    ) }

This message popped up when i checked the syntax: Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 1, Frame=1: Line 3: ')' expected
         ( this._x += 6;  )   }
Idon't understand this message because i have a close parentheses right there.

noob pcpunch

#14 25/06/07 2:59pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

try:

Code:

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
     if(Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)){
            this._x += 6;
     }
}

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#15 25/06/07 7:14pm

Uruz2012

Thanks, the tut I was reading was wrong. I wrote the code exactly like they said. clouds

noob pcpunch

Board footer