Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#51 07/06/09 3:20pm

nigec
Website

Re: Calamity RPG - all updates

Really impressive, I've only tried the PC version
Could you not put a global on the enermies so you only need to fight the same one once? I spat my dummy with FF9 because all you seemed to do if fend off enermies lol
I'm quite suprised png's work better than vector, most of the PNG stuff I've done end up mentally big file sizes lol.. but I'll give it a go, some animation in my project is running rather badly as vector

#52 07/06/09 3:27pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Thanks nigec. Just remember to pack your png's effectively to 8-bit and use colors between 16-256 depending on situation. If 24-bit alpha is required, try to make alpha-areas small - that way it's more efficient! smile - I'm looking forward to see your games.

Calamity RPG status: Back on track. Wonder where it leads.

#53 07/06/09 5:28pm

tenjimaru

i found a problem in your game.
after breaking the console it gave me a memory error =/
but everything else is awesome and not probs found big_smile

[i]cookie Tenebra Crystallis.. Released!
Portable Fishing 2012 Released!
Find Them In The 'Flash Games' Section of The Forums[/i]

#54 07/06/09 8:00pm

TNL81291

Actually, there was a glitch or two. If you move into a smaller gap in the trees, you can get permanently stuck on the other side. That it, though. The battles are very fun, although perhaps too plentiful. As long as you can get stronger to beat the enemies within a hit or two, even that shouldn't be a problem. I love shooting enemies XD. I still need to do some more testing to review some of the other aspects, though. Very good stuff so far, definitely the most impressive PSP flash project, especially considering how fast you've been working.

#55 08/06/09 4:35am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hi and thanks for the comments! Yes, there are lot of glitches big_smile - especially between maprooms. I try to eliminate them when I run into them. Tenjimaru, do you use PSP-1000? I haven't had that memory error... I need to solve that. Maybe I could fit that console-break better into map-layout so it doesn't make that ugly jump to another view - then I could also use smaller graphics.

Thank you also for pointing out the amount of enemies, there could be fewer around - but I will keep the random nature of enemy encounters, so if you go back to previous room - there could be another enemy spawned already.

Next I will make varying map-graphics for the second forest so it doesn't look the same and I will also (at somepoint) try to make fights more interesting (somehow).

By the way: did you find that missile-launcher too annoying? I wanted to have something to spice-up the walkabout-engine. I'm planning on adding more zelda-like-stuff.

#56 08/06/09 5:00am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Top notch work there, HankJFox!

Only thing i could really winge about is to be able to use potions outside of battle. But other than that great work!

#57 08/06/09 8:01am

TNL81291

Yeah, we could use an out of battle menu. I actually like the idea of threats on the map, although they could stand to be tweaked. Maybe you could implement a simple spell system or something. The battle system doesn't need to be much more complicated, just something to apply to strategies against bosses, as opposed to attacking and healing. Maybe the spells could use active commands like the gun? I really don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there smile

#58 08/06/09 1:45pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Yes. Maybe I will make character use potion when player press x, unless there is activity around. ... Problem with map-menu is that I have no other use to that other than using potion big_smile

I could implement some very easy/simple magic system. Maybe there is some indicator that shows three element icons, then player can choose if he want's to execute spell according to those elements!

If there is three bolts, it makes sense to use that magic against Robot. Or if there is two fire's and one bolt, it's good idea to magic the Evil tree that just attacked you. Hmm, it could work. Do you think it would be good add-on to the battle system?

#59 08/06/09 3:32pm

keylinman

The gameplay is very quick on this.
But it is very nice. Reminds me of FF7 graphics

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/keylinman][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/aero/keylinman.png[/img][/url]

#60 08/06/09 6:48pm

psprock

sorry i was gone im back now ang AWESOME GAME i found 3 glithes                                                                                               1 if you walk in a small crack you get stuck in a tree                                                                       2 some how i saw enimes coming in from the back ground                                                     3 when it says demo complet or somthing like that you walk through the crack in trees  and a whole new forest!!!

DBZ UNiVERES DBZ BURST LIMIT

#61 08/06/09 10:33pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hahaha big_smile - that's my template map for new forest psprock big_smile - thanks for the ultimate compliment keylinman, FF7 happens to be the game of my life. I will work hard to make Calamity RPG better for everyone.

#62 09/06/09 2:01am

TNL81291

I'm actually playing FFVII for the first time, thanks to its release on PSN.  No game could possibly live up to its hype, but it's still a damned good game. Aside from character models, the graphics have aged nicely due to pre-rendered backgrounds, and the FMVs remind me of Skies of Arcadia's graphics, which I happen to love. I definitely appreciate all the extra stuff you can do in the game too.

Back on topic: Your ideas for the magic system sound good, you should try them out in another beta ;D

#63 09/06/09 2:30am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I also bought it for my PSP from PSN store. Now I can play it everywhere! big_smile

#64 09/06/09 4:58am

keylinman

How much is the original copy worth cause i still have the 4-Disk FF7?

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/keylinman][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/aero/keylinman.png[/img][/url]

#65 09/06/09 3:29pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Do you have PC version? I don't know how much it's worth. FF7 on PSX had 3 discs. I have two original FF7's and in Finland and Japan, they are not worth much. I rather keep them. I've heard though that you can get a lot of money in Amazon for example.

#66 15/06/09 4:48am

psprock

hello i have a sugestion make the charicter have a rage attack he can only use when his mp is all the way up EX-screen turns black on again and the enimy is dead typed on psp

DBZ UNiVERES DBZ BURST LIMIT

#67 15/06/09 7:58am

lilmb
Serious Addict

When you go to village, and then to frame 'House with fishnets...' there is a glitch. It seems like you have placed old dude under background. When you go to shore, it says 'Activate X' and then the same old dude's text.

#68 15/06/09 2:56pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Some sort of limitbreak system would be fun to implement and your idea of full AP sounds good psprock! Also, thanks limb for pointing out that active-are glitch with oldmans questlog. Just some misplaced code, dammit smile

I was away in Hong Kong for almost a week, so development took a dip. I'll continue with the game later this week. So, thanks for the feedback and I'll be back with more playable stuff later!

#69 19/06/09 7:30pm

jfig112
Hardcore Member

The sprite quality is lowered intensely on PSP, I can barely make out what the character looks like when you're on the overworld.

May I suggest simpler, but more colorful graphics?

[img]http://jfig111.hostrator.com/zamg.PNG[/img]

#70 20/06/09 4:16am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Sprite quality remains the same weather you play it on PSP or PC.

But you do have a point there, character sprite is not perfect. I have plans of pixel-perfect them later. Right now it's just straight render out of Blender and scaled to small size in Photoshop. Thank you for trying it out jfig.

#71 04/07/09 8:30pm

TNL81291

... progress?

#72 04/07/09 10:22pm

Scruffy15
Anti-Christ

....wow....
this game totally owns most psp games graphic wise....

.....but gameplay wise.....

it was awe-inspiring....

...im still in shock.....

....oh my god...

edit: i played it on mah psp 1000...
sad
i went into a house thing and got a memory error..  .

btw, is it normal to attack, attack, attack if you have enough AP to kill them without giving them a turn? i hit a robot like 3 times before it attacked.

Last edited by Scruffy15 (05/07/09 3:54pm)

I'm Infinite.

#73 09/07/09 5:43am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hi! I've been uber-busy with work, so Calamity has not progressed that much lately. I'm still working on with it though, so no need to worry about it! smile

My battlesystem is semi-realtime, so both enemy and player gains AP at same rate. It is possible to attack many times before enemy, if you start battle with a lot's of AP. Also, enemies are weaker (offcourse) than player. Challenge is formed when you fight with many enemies during the quests.

Hey guys. If you want to help me out, why not tell me what sort of things would be interesting to see. i.e. environments or something like that?

I'm planning on laying out strict plan how to finish this game. Cannot let it go! smile

#74 16/07/09 5:09am

keylinman

yay. hopefully it can live up 2 the quality of moovlin games

#75 16/07/09 12:35pm

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

i think it already has have you not played the beta

Board footer