Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#26 20/05/09 3:29am

tenjimaru

Re: Calamity RPG - all updates

hank dont worry, if it runs a bit slow on psp, its not your fault its sony's for giving the psp such low ram XD
EDIT I just finished seeing all the images, it looks great, I know that you can pull it off
oh... yeah Jfig... be patient. big_smile

Last edited by tenjimaru (20/05/09 3:36am)

[i]cookie Tenebra Crystallis.. Released!
Portable Fishing 2012 Released!
Find Them In The 'Flash Games' Section of The Forums[/i]

#27 20/05/09 5:15am

TNL81291

I personally love the looks of the game, and I've got a lot of faith in you as a developer. Based upon your previous works, I can tell that you really know what you're doing, and that you're very professional. To be honest though, I've thought that maybe something would go wrong and this project wouldn't work properly on the PSP, but then I always go back to thinking that you're professional and always test what you create as you go, so I don't have any doubts when I think about it.

#28 20/05/09 7:42am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Thank you tenjimaru and TNL81291 smile - I guess I should release a demo soon, so people don't think I'm just all talk. It's not their fault, now that I think of it. PSP is quite stiff on the flash side - every reason to be skeptic I guess smile - sorry Jfig for going over border in my last post.

Calamity RPG status: Back on track. Wonder where it leads.

#29 20/05/09 5:02pm

Jake
Administrator

I look forward to seeing the finished project, you are clearly a talented artist. Hopefully we can have this on the site.

moose

#30 20/05/09 10:08pm

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

i think it would be better if the game area was wider but id rather have a game that runs fast than a game that runs at 5fps and ether way the game is going to be epic! tongue

Last edited by g0ofygoober (20/05/09 10:12pm)

#31 21/05/09 1:54am

jfig112
Hardcore Member

No need to be so uptight. I've actually tested out the PSP Flash Player's core more than anybody on this site, I have over 200 development SWF's I have created to test the frame rate and over all functions of the PSP Flash Player.

From my studies, I have learned that the PSP doesn't dump images into the RAM. It takes each individual color and seperates it and re-creates the image in the flash file. When you are in Flash MX, or CS3, or whatever version you have, it just looks like a .jpg. And on computer, it runs from the library as well. But, the PSP Flash Player has this unnecessary tweak put into it.

The only advantage I can see of that tweak is that it would make resizing and vectors look better on the screen, but it is heavy on the FPS. You also have to be sure on the clock speed you are developing for. The normal PSP runs as 222Mhz in the web browser, but with recent hacks and CFW, you can clock it to a maximum of 333Mhz with the exception of 12.5% less battery conservation.

The art you're proposing is absolutely fantastic, but if you want the presentation to run well on PSP, you might want to change a few things.

That's just my hinter.

[img]http://jfig111.hostrator.com/zamg.PNG[/img]

#32 21/05/09 2:13am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I'm gonna work hard for it to be worth having on this site Jake.

#33 22/05/09 11:57am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Alright! Here it is - proof of concept. It is really simple proof that the game works and mechanics are at the point, I can develop it into bigger adventure. Please play it through and comment here about:

1) What do you think of the battlesystem / what means I could easily improve it.
2) Game: do you think it is worth continuing with this game smile - I will even if someone would like to trash it big_smile
3) and PSP-1000 users, give some feedback on how well it runs for you. My PSP-2000 it works very well.

For PC testing. You still need to click screen for x-button
//dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.html

Straight link to swf
//dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.swf

Last edited by HankJFox (25/05/09 4:35am)

#34 22/05/09 11:59am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

... and one more thing. I remove the links on sunday - so it will be weekend alpha-testing, alright?

#35 22/05/09 12:38pm

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Okay, firstly, I'll put it to you bluntly. It wasn't what I was expecting.

One major letdown was the animation. The character design itself was great, no, spectacular but you seemed to, kinda, loosen up a bit with the animation. Not that it was crap but there is a big room for improvement. I also know about lagginess in graphics aswell, seeing as I am an ameteur game dev myself, but there are ways to overcome it.

Okay, so on a brighter note, it was a pretty awesome game altogether. The battle and walkab

#36 22/05/09 12:49pm

shinsukeito
The Explorer

out systems worked fine and the music fit the "Mysterious, magic, eerie forest" theme. So good job and good luck.

Oh yeah, and don't let one 13 year old guy push you 'round, okay?
My views are just views and if you want to keep the animation then by all means, keep it.

PS: lol! You used the monster dying animation from Infinity Line!

PPS: PSP cant fit much so sorry about the double post.

Last edited by shinsukeito (22/05/09 12:54pm)

#37 22/05/09 1:28pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Thanks for the quick feedback!I know animation is not much, as I've reduced frames much already...it can be that if i want to make it a big game, i might have to take it to pokemon level of "no animation", it is only a PSP flash game after all. We will see! thx again.

EDIT: Back with my laptop. So, yeah - my point in making this game was to stretch my capability to make a PSP flash game to a max - and so far this is much more complex than Infinity line. To be honest, I did not think animation frames could be added at all, like I did not have any in Infinity Line. (Yes! I used the dying animation! big_smile)

What this demo lacks mechanically speaking, are the platforming parts - which will also be very simple. Where you now simply activated something, you need to play a small platforming sequence with that another main character.

If I put it bluntly myself - I want to make enjoying, playable game by dumping all sorts of stuff in it...

Last edited by HankJFox (22/05/09 2:20pm)

#38 22/05/09 3:52pm

yotonah

well i don't have my psp with me, but on the computer its really nice, and if it truly does run smooth on psp, i am very impressed. my one peeve is that the text when you talk to that guy looks a bit ugly, how it is in between being in the little gameplay square and the outside area. personally, i would put all the text outside of the game area, that way you have something going on there.

but thats really nitpicky, overall its great!

#39 22/05/09 8:50pm

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

this game is awesome tested on psp phat and runs great. My only suggestion is to widen the game play window a bit (if its all using bitmaps and the character is the only thing moving i don't think it would make much difference to the speed)  and then move the text down so it then fits in the bottom of the game window like in Pokemon if that makes sense. the graphics are all good and the battles are good too.

i have a few questions out of intrest tongue
1. how much did you compress the sound?
2. did you use an event listener or an opaque MC to get mouse clicks?
3. do you put the code all on one frame or do you put the code on the guy?

#40 23/05/09 1:19am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hi and thanks for the tips yotonah and g0ofygoober!

1. I compressed sound as much as was possible - 8-bit mono is the only way to go - but I'm afraid I cannot include that many songs. Music is from newgrounds right now - I'm going to title the maker to the final game offcourse.
2. I used opaque MC as it was simple way to go for me. Also, enemy and hero has small opaque MC which are used for hittest - graphics are following those small boxes.
3. I spread code all around. I have one frame with all global variables and functions though... Still learning as a coder, since I'm a graphic designer tongue

Thanks for the feedback!

#41 23/05/09 9:36am

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

hi thanks for answering my questions its always interesting to see other peoples approach to making a game smile cant wait to see the finished thing

#42 25/05/09 4:35am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Alright, thanks for the interest everybody who submitted their opinions! Test-build has now been removed and I'm concentrating on real quests.

#43 25/05/09 10:03am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Hey, HankJFox, Uh... I know this is kinda going off topic but... 1 question can't hurt... right?...

Anyway, can you tell me how you made the rotating battle selection thing?
I'm trying to make one kinda like that for my game...

Thanks,
ShinsukeIto

#44 25/05/09 10:29am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Oh nvm I got it now sorry bout that...

#45 25/05/09 1:06pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Alrite smile - I would've helped, but great you got it figured out!

#46 26/05/09 9:01am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Actually can you tell me tongue

I thought I could do it but I was wrong... sad

Sorry.

#47 26/05/09 12:33pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I would love to help but for some reason forum does not let me send the post where I explain it hmm - maybe there are some words that it does not let me write. I have the same problem with ww-w adresses.

Send me an email and I'll post you the tip hmm

#48 26/05/09 12:52pm

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Ok, when I get back on the PC.

Thanks a billion x 24!!!! big_smile

Last edited by shinsukeito (26/05/09 12:54pm)

#49 27/05/09 10:34am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I sent you email smile

#50 07/06/09 2:25pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hi everyone! Hungry for some half-baked PSP flash RPG? New alpha build for testing is here! So please play it a bit and give me your opinions.

New stuff from last update:
- Quest-progression
- Bash-minigame
- Money and shop

For browser:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.html

For PSP:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.swf

Oh yes and I'm eager to hear some great tips for Calamity RPG! What do you think would make it better portable RPG.

Last edited by HankJFox (07/06/09 2:49pm)

Board footer