Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 13/05/09 9:21am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Calamity RPG - all updates

Hi,

I thought of making an update thread for all upcoming screenshots and possible game demos (for beta testing ^^) ...

New Alpha Test Build 07.06.2009

For browser:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.html

For PSP:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-demo.swf

Last edited by HankJFox (07/06/09 2:31pm)

Calamity RPG status: Back on track. Wonder where it leads.

#2 13/05/09 11:35am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Re: Calamity RPG - all updates

Ooooooh mmyyyyy goodddd!!!!!!!!!

That looks EXTREMELY awesome!!!
Looks good enough for DS!!!!

Well, let's just hope the game mechanics is as good as it looks!

Good luck with your progress!

Edit: Reminds me of Final Fantasy III on DS...

Last edited by shinsukeito (13/05/09 11:36am)

#3 13/05/09 12:07pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Thank you for the compliment! I love FFIII's style and I wanted to have similar super-deformed characters for my game ^_^

#4 14/05/09 12:26am

TNL81291

HOLY BALLS. Looking mighty professional there. Although I mentioned before that it's adventuring that I love most in RPGs, it looks as though the battles may reach epic level. I certainly hope that it's somehow a lengthy game!

#5 14/05/09 5:55am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I'm concentrating to the adventuring part right now. PSP's power to run my map-engine looks promising. Even after adding music to the game, it did not lag.

I've been making huge progress with the game - and I've been surprised how easy some things were to make. For example that golf-swing shooting system was pretty easy to implement in the game, even though I was prepared to work with it for quite some time.

There will be two characters. One presented before is character that does the battles - and another character, the girl - will be playable on platforming parts of the game.

I will implement small story and I have six maps planned for the game. Three outdoor maps and three dungeons to go with them. Player can choose in which order he wants to complete these three places.

My main goal is to make this game playable and enjoyable with simple mechanics, so I would like to hear your ideas about maps. What are cool little things you can do in maps that are yet simple?

#6 14/05/09 6:12am

TNL81291

Hacking down shrubbery for a few extra bucks is always fun. But that's only if you want to have attacks outside of battle and it also brings the currency system into question. Perhaps not as simple as you were wanting...

#7 14/05/09 7:26am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Yes! Hacking down shrubbery is always fun! - but instead of money,  you can collect some startup-AP, ammunition and potions for battles. If it's too much for PSP, I will tune it down a bit, and make player character able to search with x-button when closeby tree's or bushes. That's good idea. Thanks.

#8 14/05/09 3:01pm

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

wow this looks great. if you can get this running smoothly then there really is no excuse for other game makers that psp isn't powerful enough

#9 14/05/09 3:40pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Update! New battlebackground and first enemy - ancient battledroid. I also gave a boost to the framerate. At first I was working with 12 frames per second - then I tested 15 just for fun - and it run!

dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/battlebackground-heikkirepo.png
dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-battle-4.png
dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/Calamity-battle-5.png

It is possible to make flash games on PSP run smooth, you just need to make everything _very_ simple. For example, I only have two motion tweens in the whole game right now - and I barely use any vector based graphics.

#10 15/05/09 1:48pm

jfig112
Hardcore Member

How are you going to save on PSP?

[img]http://jfig111.hostrator.com/zamg.PNG[/img]

#11 15/05/09 3:34pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I have password system planned - but I don't sweat about it. It really depends what kind of a game it turns out to be.... for example, if players wants to play it for tens of minutes, I might add password system to save up their level and progression.

#12 16/05/09 4:49pm

yotonah

that looks insane. i think I'm in love...

#13 17/05/09 6:49am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Feel the love, king of all cosmos! Thank you! Coming soon: walkabout-engine shots. I hope they doesn't disappoint you guys.

#14 17/05/09 7:11am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

I love the status sig.

#15 17/05/09 3:13pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Update! New enemy art and more importantly - another main character.

dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/enemy-art-heikkirepo.png
dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/girl-concept-heikkirepo.png

#16 17/05/09 9:32pm

TNL81291

Looking good, I especially love the enemies so far! There are two things I find completely necessary for professionalism in these projects, and that is a) original content and b) proper spelling and grammar. Both help me respect the project that much more. If you feel like you'd want some play-testers to look for bugs or typos, that's about the only thing I could possibly contribute to this site, and I'd love to help out with this particularly impressive project.

#17 18/05/09 1:23am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Hey thanks TNL81291. I was thinking about giving out the script to someone for typo hunt! I always do that on important projects because I'm not native so there are room for errors.

#18 18/05/09 5:52am

TNL81291

Hey, cool! You can definitely trust me, and I should be able to get some help from my sister, too. She's an over-achieving college student, and she's very intelligent when it comes to English, among other subjects. She'd easily find any mistakes that both of us miss.

#19 19/05/09 12:22am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Development goes well. Yesterday I got two big maps connected - now you can travel between First Forest and Town! I also made sound foundations for conversation and activating methods, this means: NPC who talks, Switches that open doors, quests that can be tracked - basically - everything that makes worthwhile RPG.

I have to admit, I never planned to make the game this complicated (and I promise myself will stop here), but it really surprises me how easily things can be done.

www.bronsonproductions.net/skystalker/

Skystalker is a game I made three years ago. I concentrated so much on making the engine and the story, I made crappy graphics. I'm sorry. Why I'm showing you this is that I realized, with this Calamity engine - I could later on make a PSP version of Skystalker - with better gameplay! I'm gonna do that! big_smile

#20 19/05/09 5:28pm

g0ofygoober
Hardcore Member
Website

wow if thats crappy graphic i cant wait to see what calamity will be like

how do you do the 3d in the battles multiple, layers moving at different speeds or something else?

Last edited by g0ofygoober (19/05/09 5:31pm)

#21 19/05/09 10:16pm

shinsukeito
The Explorer

I don't think they're actually 3D but 3D sprites made from Blender.

#22 20/05/09 12:13am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

hi g0ofugoober. I quickly tried adding some parallax effects (layers you were talking about) to the battle, but it was too heavy for PSP's flash - it worked out but was way too slow. I'm quite pleased to the battle, even though it doesn't have any pseudo-3D effects, it works - that's what matters - right?

Shinsukeito is right, I use pre-rendered main characters I made with Blender. smile

#23 20/05/09 12:46am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

First screenshot  of walkabout-engine. I'm planning to release some small test-build soon for short period of time, so I could get some feedback from the mechanics early on development. I wish many of you would participate then and give some good hints wink

dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/calamity-walkabout-1.png

#24 20/05/09 1:15am

jfig112
Hardcore Member

I'm having huge doubts about this working and running well on ALL PSPs. You really need to show us an actual alpha or something, I doubt the PSP can handle what you are proposing over 15 FPS. Also, why are you cropping it to a tiny little frame? There is no point to that, it just makes it more annoying to work with. I think most people use the PSP for it's full screen, otherwise we could have just gotten a small DS for that sort of stuff... hmm

Last edited by jfig112 (20/05/09 1:18am)

[img]http://jfig111.hostrator.com/zamg.PNG[/img]

#25 20/05/09 2:49am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

What - do you think I'm lying about making working flash game? I really wonder why I even bother to answer you really... I make this game just to keep myself entertained, for myself to play it. If someone else likes what they see / play, is just extra. Jeez...

1) I test it several times a day with my unhacked PSP-2000 to prove it runs well. If someting I did makes it lag, I do it differently. I've never said it runs _over_ 15 fps, I said it runs 15 fps at the moment.

2) There is no point to crop it to small screen?!! It has small map area because I want it to run well. Character has 8 frames of animation for each direction - if I made bigger sprites, objects - game would not fit into flash's memory, or it would look really simple. It's a friggin' flash game for god's sake, I don't really believe anyone bought PSP over DS to play my flash game.

4) And finally, I don't owe you any proof but I'm going to release my test-build. I hate it when people release half-baked stuff before there isn't anything worth to play. I want to add first simple test-quest first, so people can tell it's an RPG.

I've told you many times the key-ingredients to make working, running PSP flash game. Use less if at all moving vectors, less motion-tweens, less onEnterframe and more packed pixel graphics saved in png 8-bit format. Oh, and don't forget to set image properties to "Use image's default compression" - otherwise flash will pack images to ugly JPG-mess. Why don't you start with that, before getting all skeptic towards me - ok?

EDIT: Typo'sssssss....

Last edited by HankJFox (20/05/09 3:01am)

Board footer