Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 07/05/09 2:40pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Calamity RPG - character art

Hi everyone,

I've been pretty busy developing my second PSP flash RPG, Calamity. I have almost finished map-system and battle-engine ready and development is at that moment I can present you some character art!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/nemo-concept-heikkirepo.png
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/524289/nemo- … kirepo.png

This is another of two main characters, another one is going to be a girl. I decided to do characters in SD (super-deformed) style because if fits into small projects like this and since making off-duty projects is supposed to be fun, I decided to make everything simple.

I wish I can give you more updates soon, but in the meantime - please let me know what you think of this main character - and also it is never too late to hear some opinions what would you like to see in Flash RPG!

Last edited by HankJFox (07/05/09 2:44pm)

Calamity RPG status: Back on track. Wonder where it leads.

#2 07/05/09 2:58pm

duelord
Discussion Mød
Website

Re: Calamity RPG - character art

wow that sure is some nice art, did you use a tool to make these three d images? or did you paint them. Coz they look pretty cool.

[img]http://data23.sevenload.com/slcom/yz/jb/llrqlfd/wkkrihhojdge.jpg~/Duelord4.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9534#p9534]Flash games/applications for the psp!!+tutorial[/url]
[url=http://www.pspflashgaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=10247#p10247]Download Emulators for psp+tutorial[/url]

#3 07/05/09 3:13pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Blender! It's open-source and I can recommend it to everyone. Takes couple of days to get used to horrible GUI, but afterward you think it's actually pretty neat smile

#4 09/05/09 7:36am

jfig112
Hardcore Member

I highly doubt 3D sprites will work on PSP. I know that you are a good flash developer, but from reading some of your past posts, it doesn't seem that you know the PSP's Flash Platform well.

[img]http://jfig111.hostrator.com/zamg.PNG[/img]

#5 09/05/09 1:31pm

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Oh really, I don't? -- ok smile

I'm not using "3D sprites", whatever you mean by that, but pre-rendered frames of character animations. I can vary amount of frames used if it is necessary to optimize speed. They are just images, nothing fancy.

Last edited by HankJFox (09/05/09 1:39pm)

#6 09/05/09 8:04pm

TNL81291

Ooh, I can't wait to see how this game is. I like the character style, by the way.

#7 09/05/09 8:35pm

jfig112
Hardcore Member

I meant having bitmaps with that much depth would lag. It would not run smooth.

Multiple animations, any more than about 3 on a frame at a time will lag.

#8 09/05/09 10:23pm

alfarts
Hardcore Member

looks good! the psp can't handle what you might be thinking about, so start small.

HERE ARE SOME OF MY VIDEO GAME ACHEIVEMENTS:
Beat Thrillville off the Rails (PSP), Class A car license on Burnout Paradise (PS3) and 12 gold medals out of 13 on wipEout purE (PSP)
those are some of my acheivements in playing video games.
shakehead smile big_smile big_smile cheer

#9 10/05/09 12:18am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Thanks for the warning jfig112. I have no plans to use tens of frames on animations, I just want the presentation to be sharp. Better to have crisp bitmaps rather than lousy moving pile of vectors. Take Pokemon for example, the characters on battle rarely moves that much - the heat of battle is presented by effects and by simply moving graphic assets.

PSP flash has two major problems. Another is memory, another is power. It is easy to fit stuff into memory, by packing bitmaps into PNG-8 with fewer colors. Using 24-bit packing results into nicer alpha images, but takes a lot more memory and runtime power to handle complex alpha-depths - especially when moving graphics on-screen, like you said!

At this point of development I've been using 24-bit alpha images for character graphics, but if it looks like game is going to run slow or is unplayable, I can always change graphics into more PSP-flash friendly 8-bit images.

It is possible to have high-visuals on PSP flash games, you just have to make sure graphic assets are well packed and try to avoid moving complex-objects at the same time on screen. ... and don't use motion-tweens!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

#10 10/05/09 3:03am

alfarts
Hardcore Member

u could do the complex stuff on pc flash but not psp.. but u can do complex crap on a psp slim with homebrew.

Last edited by alfarts (10/05/09 1:11pm)

Beat Thrillville off the Rails (PSP), Class A car license on Burnout Paradise (PS3) and 12 gold medals out of 13 on wipEout purE (PSP)

#11 10/05/09 5:12am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

You're right Alfarts, that is exactly why I'm making a simple RPG game smile

#12 10/05/09 7:04am

jfig112
Hardcore Member

Yeah, I've never liked sprites. I know vectors are heavyweight, but it makes for much better, organic results. Plus I have a tablet, so all the better for me.

#13 10/05/09 10:29am

yotonah

also, if its not possible on the normal psp flash, remember that psp slim users with homebrew can run MUCH bigger flash stuff, so if you really want to make it fancy, you could release a little version that any psp could run, and a fancy homebrew version.

#14 10/05/09 1:08pm

alfarts
Hardcore Member

how about regular for all psp and pro for homebrew. yotonah ur right. and can u plz change ur sig. im offended by it greatly.

#15 10/05/09 8:04pm

jfig112
Hardcore Member

yotonah wrote:

also, if its not possible on the normal psp flash, remember that psp slim users with homebrew can run MUCH bigger flash stuff, so if you really want to make it fancy, you could release a little version that any psp could run, and a fancy homebrew version.

For god sakes already, having more RAM doesn't speed it up. It would still lag like a b*tch even at the PSP's max mHz, 333.

#16 10/05/09 10:38pm

alfarts
Hardcore Member

more ram means Skype on the psp and nothing else. and, um... wtf is mHz?

#17 11/05/09 12:33am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

I've finished basic battle gameplay - and it runs very smooth on psp flash, just like I thought it would. It even looks like I can add a bit more frames to the character animation.

Next, I will draw some enemy art, make original stats for them and randomly load them from walkabout-engine.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

#18 11/05/09 4:25am

TNL81291

So will there be adventure elements? That's what I love most about RPGs, unless the game has a really engaging battle system.

#19 11/05/09 5:47am

yotonah

jfig112 wrote:

yotonah wrote:

For god sakes already, having more RAM doesn't speed it up. It would still lag like a b*tch even at the PSP's max mHz, 333.

i don't know anything about flash, but i do know that with the homebrew browser, i can run bigger flash games.

alfarts, fine ill change it.

#20 11/05/09 6:18am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

Yes, that's what I love about RPG's too! There will be adventure elements, but keep your hopes low. First version of the game will be very simple.

My goal is to create a game with simple mechanics, but that would keep players playing for more than 5 minutes (it is a different thing to create content for hours than to keep player interested about the game for more than few seconds).

What I'm working on, is very expandable engine - if I can implement the adventure elements the same way, I could provide more adventures on the same engine, with only a little effort.

#21 11/05/09 8:35am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Can't wait to see the battle system because I'm thinking of a different way to do a battle system for my platformer rpg.

Can you tell me what it's going to be like?

#22 11/05/09 8:53am

HankJFox
Hardcore Member

It is semi-real-time. You constantly gain AP and each move takes certain amount of it. Normal attack consumes 20 AP, special attack 45, using item 10 and so on. So it's more fast-paced than regular turn-based system.

I designed it this way because there is going to be only one enemy per battle, so it would be ridiculous to wait for your turn, or just bash attack button every now and then.

I'm looking forward to your platformer RPG, demo was very promising!!! My world map is going to be top-down, but I was thinking about making certain special places from platform perspective. Can I ask some advices from you if needed?

#23 11/05/09 9:09am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Yeah, sure man. My RPG is not sidescrolling anymore cause it lagged too much...

Anyway, is it more like chrono trigger where, the characters are still top down-ish or is it like pokemon and final fantasy where they use different sprites?

By the way, awesome idea, sometimes i get really tired (i mean like, sleepy) when i play Final Fantasy III when i just mash buttons. lol.

Last edited by shinsukeito (11/05/09 9:11am)

#24 11/05/09 10:47am

TNL81291

Aw, I was kinda hoping to get that platforming RPG outta you, but I've got enough faith in you as a developer so far to have good expectations for whatever your RPG becomes. Yours too, Hank. Some platforming segments would be awesome, I really appreciated those moments in the GB/GBC Zelda games if that's the style you're going for.

#25 11/05/09 11:27am

shinsukeito
The Explorer

Noo, man no, I'm not stopping my project, I'm just cutting the scrolling part out.
I mean, it's still a platformer but it doesn't scroll.
Hopefully you'll understand what I'm trying to say! tongue

Last edited by shinsukeito (11/05/09 11:30am)

Board footer