Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 26/09/06 6:38pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

An idea :]

I wonder if anyone could make this game into a psp version. http://www.seethru.co.uk/games/helicopter.htm
If it would be possible, it would rock and it would become the most popular psp flash game yikes
There's an attempt at this to download from http://dl.qj.net/PSPHeli-V0.4-Build-87- … /catid/490 But it is quite slow sad

Anyone who could pull this off will become famous and I will love you =]

#2 27/09/06 5:20pm

soulofdarkness

Re: An idea :]

Not a bad idea, it pretty slow because of the smoke effect and moving bg.
Theoreticaly, it's possible to make a similar game, but practicaly...
Ok, i'll try if i'll have spare time.

I bite!
surprise

#3 27/09/06 7:01pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

It is a class game, and would only require very basic coding, so would be pretty easy to make our own version... Just a question of time really (we've got a list of game ideas as long as my arm waiting to be made)

See what we can do though... if anyone else wants to have a go, give it a bash! Could do a joint project if you like - eg. someone else makes the background code, i make pretty graphics, etc. Whatever.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#4 27/09/06 7:06pm

soulofdarkness

I started it cheer .
But i need some help kuz i'm a noob in increasing and decreasing variables.
This is what i have right now:

Code:

onClipEvent (load) {
    gravity = 1;
    fallspeed = 0;
    reverse = false;
}
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    fallspeed += gravity;
    _y += fallspeed;
}

This was pretty simple, i don't think that i need to explain something here.
Now i'm stuck with going upwards. I think of making another variable, something like reverse, and make it "true" when UP is pressed, and "false" in released.
But how to make the "gravity" var. reversed? help!!!!!

I bite!
surprise

#5 27/09/06 7:12pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Can you not just set gravity to -1 (negative) on a keypress?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#6 27/09/06 7:14pm

soulofdarkness

shocked2     ... so .... easy?????

I bite!
surprise

#7 27/09/06 7:29pm

soulofdarkness

Thank you TallPhil!!!!!
Tried on my PSP, looks smoooth! (but there're no bg, scrolling will "eat" a lot of virtual memory). http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/S … h=imgAnch1 - engine demo

I bite!
surprise

#8 27/09/06 8:09pm

soulofdarkness

Walls are added, landing spot too (red blocks)
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/S … h=imgAnch1

I bite!
surprise

#9 30/09/06 10:53am

soulofdarkness

If you tried the last one on a PSP, you know what i'm talking about. It was around 1 or 2 frames per second sad So i managed to squeese it a little by deleting unneded blocks - the result http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/S … h=imgAnch1, it's still lagging... any ideas?

I bite!
surprise

#10 30/09/06 12:27pm

Jake
Administrator

I was thinking of doing this myself but am i right in assuming you are using a hit test. If so you need only to detect a collision with blocks arround the helicopter. For example the helicopter always goes forwards so only need to detect a collision with the blocks directly above and bellow the helicopter and the blocks directly infront. I am thinking of making an attempt at this game myself but am a little busy at the moment.

moose

#11 30/09/06 1:27pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

I like it so far. Only that I think the helicopter drops too fast and maybe you should assign the lift rather to the x-key (mouse button) instead of the up arrow.
The style rocks. I love the black background with green stuff on it. Matrix-ish tongue

Uh ok I don't know much about flash but I wonder if you could make it run smoother with even simpler graphics...
Cut the graphics down from this
http://users.telenet.be/jeffd/pics/ex1.PNG
to this perhaps?
http://users.telenet.be/jeffd/pics/ex2.PNG
I'm probably running ahead on this since you're still working on the engine though =\
It's just my favorite flash game of all times so I want it on psp big_smile
keep up the good work ^^

Last edited by Jeffy (08/10/06 2:45pm)

#12 30/09/06 5:16pm

Jake
Administrator

I have just tested some code for my own version of this game and I get an average of 12fps with the game not going below 11fps so this game can certainly be made. However I only wanted to make an engine to make sure this game is possible and I am not going to develop my engine any further for the moment as I would like to see what soulofdarkness comes up with so good luck to him.

moose

#13 01/10/06 11:14am

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Show us your engine! yikes

#14 01/10/06 1:28pm

Jake
Administrator

Ok I will show the engine shortly. I have improved it a little and as soon as I can I will get phil to put it on the internet so I can post a link.

moose

#15 01/10/06 1:48pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

I wish I could make it myself... It would've been finished already (no offense):p

But I'm starting with flash now wink

#16 01/10/06 2:24pm

Jake
Administrator

I can make the game the engine is all there and working. The next step is to decide if the level is randomly generated or a pre designed level. I could have the game made in a week or so but I have just started back at university and I have a heavy work load. On the plus side my engine will make it easy for users to create their own levels to play.

moose

#17 01/10/06 3:09pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Well.. again I'm no expert but a predesigned level would involve less complicated codes so it should be faster right? roll

Last edited by Jeffy (01/10/06 3:10pm)

#18 01/10/06 4:16pm

soulofdarkness

Jake wrote:

I can make the game the engine is all there and working. The next step is to decide if the level is randomly generated or a pre designed level. I could have the game made in a week or so but I have just started back at university and I have a heavy work load. On the plus side my engine will make it easy for users to create their own levels to play.

Randomly created levels are perfect if you want to make a highscore table for it.
So, are you making this game? kuz is started making ony to try if it's possible or not

I bite!
surprise

#19 02/10/06 3:28pm

Jake
Administrator

If there is demand for the game I suppose I will make it. I am not sure how the custom levels will be made yet but I am thinking of making a system that converts a bitmap in to the level. Otherwise the level data is held in an array so there are lots of possibilities such as loading the level from a text file.

moose

#20 03/10/06 1:33pm

Jake
Administrator

Ok I may as well finish this game. Expect a beta by the weekend. I am working on the physics at the moment and playing arround to get what I want.

Anyone who wants to make a level the level is stored in a very simple array like:

Code:

level = [[1,1,1,1,2,3,4,1],
        [1,1,1,1,0,5,3,1]]

where the values represent how far away from the top of the screen for the top row and from the bottom screen in the bottom row.

The level is made up of tiles which are 16*16 pixels so in the array a number 1 stands for 1 tile away and therefore 16 pixels.

moose

#21 04/10/06 5:44pm

soulofdarkness

So, the levels will not be auto-generated? Well, we will wait for the beta.

I bite!
surprise

#22 06/10/06 12:31pm

Jake
Administrator

The levels will be auto generated I think but adding in that functions means there can be a custom level loaded. I am not to happy with it yet I think I can get it running a lot better but here is what I have done at the moment.Click here

moose

#23 06/10/06 12:55pm

soulofdarkness

Feels ok on the PC, try working on the design. If you want to, i can help you with that. Now i'll try in on a PSP

I bite!
surprise

#24 06/10/06 1:09pm

soulofdarkness

Well.... its' 6-7 Fps...
How about making less area thar the user will show?
Here'ss an image of what i mean:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/Soul_Of_Darkness/e.jpg

The green area sould be black, and the lines should be spawn from the left side of the area, the blue area should have a vector fill, with black with 100% alpha, and fade to the right untill it reaches 0% alpha.

I bite!
surprise

#25 06/10/06 1:20pm

Jake
Administrator

Its a good idea but the lines dont spawn as in my tests that slows the game down. The Level is built from the start hence the slow start up on psp. I am going to change the way it works to speed it up some more as it lags because flash has to redraw each line every frame so cutting down the area should work. I will give it a go as I am not happy with 6fps.

moose

Board footer