Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 08/03/07 6:39am

wild8900

Server Question (saving scores online)

Hey how do you save a value to a server? I was thinking of ways for saving progress in long psp games (like my zelda one) and thought about having the player's psp IP or something save to the server, the progress, and load from the server, with the IP as the identification.

If this is possible, where could I get a server for this? And how would I go about doing this? Im completely inexperienced in server/internet related things.

#2 08/03/07 10:05am

Jake
Administrator

Re: Server Question (saving scores online)

The answer is yes you could save progress on a server however that would restrict the player to online play only. It is a good idea but you could try using passwords instead theese could hold information such as player position, level, points, etc. The plus side of using passwords is that they are free unlike servers (you would require a database and php which are not usually supported by free hosts).

I have also been looking in to this as jelly 2 is going to have a story mode I am trying to find a way to use cookies in the web browser to save progress, I have one last idea and if it works I will be sure to tell you.

moose

#3 08/03/07 11:43am

tallphil
Banned
Website

To save this kind of information, you'll need to write your own php scripts that can understand data sent from the actionscript, and you'll probably need a MySQL database to store the information (certainly the easiest way). For this, you'll need your own hosting and domain package - we get ours for this site from dataflame.

If i'm honest, it's not massively easy - if you've never written any php or sql before, you might struggle a little, so jake's suggestion of a code is probably a good one. You'll want to write some code to 'encrypt' the code to make it harder for people to cheat by making their own codes.

Alternatively, ask us nicely to host it for you and if we can work on this project with to provide the server side scripting (you'll have to ask exceptionally nicely though, as i'm very busy with other projects at the moment)

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#4 08/03/07 11:47am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Oh, and Jake - i would say that cookies is a bad idea, a lot of people have privacy settings to clear cookies on a regular basis, it would be very annoying to lose your progress due to this. They're also fairly unreliable in general, support for them varies and is inconsitant.

Cookies are fine for storing fairly unimportant information, like language of choice, or menu settings, but for more valued information such as the 6 hours of playing that has finally got you to level 12 it might not be the method of choice wink

I would recommend talking to me to incorperate server side recording in our database and integration with our user system, similar to the highscore system? Slightly more work to set up, but certainly more reliable. That or codes anyway.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

Board footer