Announcement

User registrations are currently disabled due to high spam traffic.

#1 21/07/06 3:50pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

PSP operating system

You'll be delighted to hear that Jake and me are in the process of writing a pseudo-operating system for use on the PSP.
It will give easy access to web links and games and will be completely customisable through the website.
Best of all, it'll be free for signed up users! (and signing up is free)

The website side of the coding is going well, and the latest version that Jake showed me is looking pretty tasty - we'll keep you posted...

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#2 01/08/06 11:30am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Re: PSP operating system

Despite not hearing from Jake for a couple of months now (I have my theorys. He's probably dead.) the website coding side of the PSP OS is going swimmingly. This is mainly because they don't want to train me at work yet, so I have loads of time to sit here and code (it looks like work to anyone passing by, everyone's happy).
Annnyway, essentially the background website code is sex on a stick, and virtually finished. I need to figure out a bit more javascript to make the editing page all dynamic and amazing, then I need to talk to jake to sort out the flash side.
I'll keep you posted!

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#3 06/08/06 6:35pm

Jake
Administrator

I am not dead have just been at home for ages where we are stuck with dial up which does not work very well. Anyway things are going well but I do need some more game ideas.

moose

#4 19/08/06 9:39am

woodpecker106
Hardcore Member
Website

How about a psp version hippo racing or weasel invasion

#5 19/08/06 12:16pm

Jake
Administrator

right my side of the new code for jelly is complete its up to phil now. I have seen what is to come with the high score boards and it is worth it. I have a busy week but then I am free to make games for ages so hippo racing one I will definitely do but probably with a little twist and I may be able to adapt weasel invasion 2 so that it plays on psp I will see which reminds me I have not released weasel invasion 2 yet and I cant remember how far it is in development fairly close to release I think.

moose

#6 05/12/06 11:09pm

Jake
Administrator

I have just finished off a load of uni work that has stopped me from making any more flash content. I seem to have loads of time on my hands now so tomorrow I am going to start work on the operating system again. I have a few ideas up my sleeve and hopefully they will prove successful.

I have a vague idea of what jelly2 will be like and my tile based platform engine is nearly there. You will be pleased to hear I have run tests on a system which will allow turn based online play  for flash games on the PSP and I have plans for using this in a new Hippo racing game (for those who don't know me hippo racing was a game I first made in college on a graphical calculator).

I can not set any deadlines but if I get to work I can hopefully bring more content to the site soon.

moose

#7 06/12/06 9:27am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Cool - i'm dead keen to get the psp-os up and running, let me know if there's anything i can be doing...?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#8 24/12/06 12:05am

RA

wait what

#9 24/12/06 2:07pm

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

Jake and Phil are making a sort of operating system in flash that will run from your web browser. It will have shortcuts and links to your favourite flash games.

That's pretty much all I know so far. I can't wait to see it finished big_smile

#10 26/12/06 1:10am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Gah, this project is getting larger and more difficult the further it goes. It's also taking a very long time because Jake and me actually need to communicate to make it work (doh). I've been playing with loads of different approaches to make things nice and easy for you guys, and have rewritten the code several times already. Think we're getting close though - if Jake and I can get sat down over messenger at the same time for a sensible amount of time soon, we should get it out smile

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#11 05/01/07 11:24pm

oliboy123456789

how about 3d pong u can chase around the ball

#12 06/01/07 1:26am

tallphil
Banned
Website

tad offtopic there, but you seemed to find a relevant thread here.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#13 26/02/07 10:02pm

Jake
Administrator

Well it looks like we are coming close to getting a release of this pseudo-operating system and you will be pleased to know that it is fully customisable. I am in the process of comming up with the main menu.

If you have used a portal before it is similar to one of those however it will have what you want in it not a load of useless stuff which usually comes packaged in the portals available to download.

So far in the main menu I have Games, Animation, Applications and links. (these will be seen in a beta release that I hope to get out soon but the number of main menus that can be added is infinate). The aim is to make it easier to acces local files and your favourite web pages with only a few clicks. The current version resembels the menu on the PSP however there can be many skins made and if you understand flash and XML then you would be able to make one your self.

It would help to know what people like and dont like about portals for getting this finished otherwise the first release will be based arround my personal preferences.

moose

#14 02/03/07 10:48pm

Jake
Administrator

Ok here is a screen shot of XMBOS which is the current version I am working on
http://www.pspflashgaming.com/dev/Jake/screenshot.jpg

And even better there is a Beta available (I know that the screenshot only shows 2 menu items the readme in the zip file shows how to create more)

Get the beta here

moose

#15 03/03/07 10:51am

tallphil
Banned
Website

Fairplay Jake - that skin is soooo much better than the last one! Like it a lot smile

A few minor points:

- why does it say Web / Local in the bottom left? Is this really necessary?
- Is it possible to animate the transitions instead of jumping? It'd make it look just that little bit more professional methinks.
- Can you have small icons for the menu options too?
- A tad ambitious perhaps, would it be possible to have animated icons? (perhaps in release 2!) but just an imported swf instead of image...

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#16 03/03/07 10:54am

tallphil
Banned
Website

I suppose you'll want me to write the online scripts for customisation soon?

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#17 03/03/07 12:03pm

Jake
Administrator

First, if you read the readme then yes you can have animated icons, You just have to make a 60*60 flash file (at 12 fps at the moment) and change the file extension to .pfi. If you notice the new background is a flash annimation.

The reason for saying local and web in the corner lets you know if your PSP will try and connect to the internet.

We could probably have an animated transitions but I have had problems with preloading the entire menu but I will see what can be done.

Perhaps will add small icons but at the moment the main reason being I cant be bothered to draw any and its a lot of extra code.

moose

#18 03/03/07 12:12pm

tallphil
Banned
Website

Still think that the web/local thing is kinda obvious, but fair enough.

What i had in mind when i was saying about the small icons was using favicons for the web links etc (the small icons that appear in the address bar) - those are premade 16x16px icons for you.

PSP Flash Gaming creator

#19 06/05/07 7:30am

JaXeRiR
Elite Moderator
Website

This sounds good and looks too!

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/JaX3RiR][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/JaX3RiR.png[/img][/url]

#20 06/05/07 10:00am

Jeffy
Addicted Moderator

I've tried linking to a huge amount of flashgames (possibly over 100) and scrolling through them takes ages. Maybe you should make it less complicated :s

Board footer